Sunday 28 June 2009

Jona/Tomberry Review

I first watched this short film at the 2005 SAND (Swansea animation days) festival. I have to say i was really impressed with the film. I had no previous knowledge of this film or the origins behind it, so after the festival I did some research on it. It was an ending to an online comic series (mind my gap). So to fully understand the meaning behind this movie you had to have read the comic itself, but enough about the very little background that I still dont know very much about.
The movie art style is very unique as with most CGI I think of are normally cute and cuddly animal's (thank you pixar and dreamworks). The style and lack of bright colours just makes it look even more dark and mysterious (the lack of bright colours remind me alot of current next gen consoles really). The character design's sort of give me an impresion of what if Silent Hills character desinger (Masahiro Ito) and Tim Buton got togeather and drew for a while.
Well the people designs more of Ito's side and the tree creatures design more of a Tim Burton look, but that's the impression I get from watching it. The operatic sound in the music just gives it more of an impact when put to the imagery (in a good way) and it works well through out the film.
As for the film plot I'm not really sure on how to coment on it. It starts off simple man sees baby, gives him a name. Then the other man (who looks like a devil really) wants the baby killed... then carries on into a way that makes me think what the hell did I just watch.
I know this isnt a really good review to start off with but I only recently rewatched this as I managed to find a link to the whole movie and not just the 2 trailers to it. If you like creative shorts, having seizures, or watching weired stuff then go ahead and watch this :D if not dont bother... but it makes me wonder why the hell you read this review to begin with if your not bothered about stuff like that anyway.

Original website (of the comic series) : Click here
Orignal website (for short film) : Click here
Link to short film (dailymotion) : Click here

Do not be scared.

No comments:

Post a Comment